The word Kardinia is a Tasmanian Aboriginal word which means ‘sunrise’ or ‘new beginning‘. The founders of Kardinia International College have taken advantage of the College’s new beginning to create an exciting school which utilitises new practices and school structures to cater for the individual student.
Although the College is new, it is built on a site which already contains many excellent facilities and historic buildings. Morongo Girls College existed on the present site for nearly 70 years before it closed at the end of 1994. Morongo was sponsored by the Uniting Church and was renowned as a College of excellence. Mr Yoshimaro Katsumata purchased the buildings, facilities and resources of the Morongo Girls College (in the middle of 1995) and established Kardinia International College as an incorporated entity with a Board of Directors in September 1995.
The inaugural Principal, Mr John Goodfellow, was appointed at the end of September. Between October – December 1995, permission to open applications and registration documentation were prepared while students were enrolled and staff employed.
Kardinia International College began on 3 February 1996 with 31 secondary students and 42 kindergarten children. During 1996, an extensive programme of marketing and public relations was undertaken by an extremely enthusiastic and hard-working staff.
In 1997 the student population increased to 450 students. Many additions were made to the College’s operations, including a second Kindergarten, the Early Learning Centre, the Upper Primary Centre, and the addition of Year 10 to the secondary programme.
In 1998 enrolments grew to 750 and these enrolments have continued to grow to the point where there is approximately 1823 students enrolled in the College with a huge demand for further places.
Parents, staff and students continue to write the history of what has already begun to be recognised as a truly great College.